Order of the Elites
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

There's more to life than GTAO aka other great co-op games

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

There's more to life than GTAO aka other great co-op games Empty There's more to life than GTAO aka other great co-op games

Post by sloridin Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:53 pm

Hello, Elites!
I've been gaming online with the PS3 for some years now and I always find that playing cooperatively has sapped more of my time than just gaming solo. As you may already know if you're on my friend list, GTAO is not the only game I play.

Before GTA V, the game I sunk and continued to sink hours into after years of release is the gaming masterpeice that is Battlefield:Bad Company 2. There is a dedicated thread in this forum just for the game where you can see a whole bunch of stats that are really only meaningful to me and a few other people, but that if you played the game, you just might yourself be obsessing over and reliving some great battles.
The game really is like playing a movie. It has a sound single player campaign, but multiplayer is where it really shines. Vehicles, destructible environments, and if you have a pair of surround sound capable speakers, some of the best positional audio your ears have ever heard. This is not COD. Nor is it a strict simulation of warfare that the failed Battlefield 3 was. What is the difference between BC2 and COD you may ask?
Bullet physics. Games are the PS3 standard 32 player affair but what's taking up all your system's precious memory? It's the fact that all the projectiles in the game are rendered in memory from the moment your fire to where they end up. You can actually see the rounds fire and drop over distance. Though you don't really have time to marvel at this too much as rockets and mortar strikes are going off everywhere. I'll add some more info to the dedicated thread, but basically if you want a game where you need to depend on your teammates and plan strategies to work together to win in a military scenario, this is your game. The only downside really is that so late in the game's life there are reduced player counts and that means the hardcore, really good players are left fighting it out so beginners may feel the pinch with a steep learning curve.

The next title I'd like to recommend for our crew is Starhawk.

There's more to life than GTAO aka other great co-op games Starhawk

This game can be had from the US Amazon store for about $10 and supports a crew/clan system much like GTA. This is a 3rd person shooter, real time strategy hybrid. I'll let the guys over at metacritic explain it for you. Read all you like here.

MC hypernova1024 wrote:Is it a 10? No, I'd give it a 9.5 or so if Metacritic let me, but since not, I'm rounding. I picked it up today and tried every game mode - it truly is a complete package. The campaign isn't particularly memorable, but it doesn't have to be - its purpose is multiplayer training and it does a great job of gearing players up for the online component (which is truly the core of the experience here). I'll admit that the game isn't perfect by any means - between meh AI, low production values, and little variety in the campaign, there really isn't much worth replaying in the solo affairs. But again, that's not the point by any means. This game is the spiritual successor to 2007's Warhawk, which was a multiplayer only game. It was the first incredibly popular game on the PS3, and made its name by the skill based, teamwork-oriented, fast-paced gameplay with good balance of vehicular and ground combat. Starhawk adds an extra dimension to this with build and battle, making this game feel like a real time strategy third person shooter. Teamwork is the key to success in Starhawk, and the new clan system makes it really easy to set up a dedicated team to play with. While Machinima and GameInformer bash Starhawk for the teamwork emphasis, they don't realize that it's the point of the game. Starhawk is easily one of the most innovative games of this generation, and this gem contains everything a game really needs (coop is a blast as well). The music is incredible and fits the western theme. The graphics, while not realistic by any means, are still strikingly beautiful. The gameplay is polished and well balanced. And with a well built, active, and long supported (free map packs inbound) online component, what more could you ask for? I honestly find it embarrassing that each year's Madden or Call of Duty tops the critical and commercial success (thank you EA and Activision -_-) while the truly innovative games go largely ignored. Oh well, to each his own I suppose. Basically, I'm fine if people dislike it, but I'd like them to at least know what they're talking about. For now, I'll give Starhawk one of my strongest recommendations of this generation, and I encourage readers to look past the mixed reviews and see if they like the game itself - they may be surprised

I own both of these games and bought them at full price when released. Got my money's worth from BC2...played it so much that the disc is cracked in the middle. Starhawk on the other hand was a blast to play but I couldn't get anyone else to play it with me and thus it sits underappreciated. I still have my own clan there but it could easily changed to the Elites if you guys are willing to pick it up. I wouldn't mind dominating this game in a crew/clan as it requires teamwork and strategy which is essential in such a game.

My next recommendation is a Tom Clancy game Ghost Recon:Future Soldier.
There's more to life than GTAO aka other great co-op games Ghost-recon-future-soldier-logo
Another 3rd person military shooter. This has a 4 player co-op campaign which is excellent and the multiplayer is also great and has a GTA crew like feel to it. Matches can't be won without good communication and teamwork as lone wolf players are quickly taken out. They aren't killed immediately as you can stun players and then hack their gear to be able to see where the rest of their team is on the map. These matches are tense tugs of war for objectives and map supremacy. Excellent all around except for the matchmaking. You can't play co-op campaign or horde more with random players, only your friends. There has to be at least one degree of friendship between team member to be invited to matches. Check this out for yourself to see if this is something for you.

Almost forgot...the gunsmith. You can fully customize every weapon (barrels, triggers, magazine, high tech rounds) and there's even a smartphone app if you want to do it while you're out and about.

However, the most bang for the buck and exciting, gritty and realistic multiplayer game recently has to be Naughty Dog's The Last of Us.
There's more to life than GTAO aka other great co-op games The-Last-of-us-Multiplayer-2-600x337
Not only do you get a gripping single player story but you get  the multiplayer which is like nothing you've ever played before. Start the game with a main and sub weapon and set of skills. This is an post-apocalyptic type story so don't expect to be decked out with top grade military hardware and ammo ala BC2. You've got a handful of bullets and thats it. Search the map head to head with another team of 4 for supplies to build the tools to decimate your enemies. For example a plank of wood, nails, duct tape give you a melee weapon you can bash your foes' skull in with. Find some explosives and craft a nail bomb to cripple your enemy before you move in to literally grind his or her skull into a fine paste. You owe it to yourself to check this game out as it is one of the best of the last generation. It also has an interesting facebook link feature that you'll get a kick out of and won't post stuff to your wall at all.

Last edited by sloridin on Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
sloridin
sloridin
Commissioner
Commissioner

Back to top Go down

There's more to life than GTAO aka other great co-op games Empty Re: There's more to life than GTAO aka other great co-op games

Post by sloridin Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:47 am

If you have these games and/or are keen to play them together then please sound off here. Our Lieutenant, Trivium has stepped up and bought BC2, The Last of Us (LoU) and Starhawk so you have two guaranteed coop partners ready to tear things up with.

When Mung gets done with his headshot tattoo hunt he may return to the battlefield as well. As fun as our time on the streets is, heists are taking a long time to drop and there's just so much more fun and laughs to be had in the meantime elsewhere while we wait.

Last edited by sloridin on Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
sloridin
sloridin
Commissioner
Commissioner

Back to top Go down

There's more to life than GTAO aka other great co-op games Empty Re: There's more to life than GTAO aka other great co-op games

Post by jibujaman Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:46 pm

I have Last of Us, but I bought it second hand, so I don't have an online pass. Is it worth to get one? :p
jibujaman
jibujaman
Leader
Head of Marksmen

LeaderHead of Marksmen

https://oote.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sloridin Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:56 pm

jibujaman wrote:I have Last of Us, but I bought it second hand, so I don't have an online pass. Is it worth to get one? :p

It is totally worth it, boss...the multiplayer is some of the most tense, edge-of-your-seat, never know what's gonna happen, heart attack inducing, brutal, bloody and oh so satisfying experience I've had the pleasure of experiencing. Too bad the disc is all dusty and neglected since everyone is on GTA and BF4...I had to replace my whole Blu-ray lens assembly just so I could play it reliably. Not sure what the servers are like these days but I'm looking forward to getting back in to it and I'll likely buy the new maps too if we have enough people getting into it. Matches are 4 x 4 so if we have a core group of 3-4 regulars it'll be good as communication and support are key in this game. The first time you stun some poor bastard with a smoke bomb and shiv him in the throat you'll be hooked...
sloridin
sloridin
Commissioner
Commissioner

Back to top Go down

Post by trivium2011 Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:01 pm

I'm still new to all the war games so haven the crew there will be a great help and mung finished that tat quest last night with me and volts
trivium2011
trivium2011
Lieutenant
Head of Wheelmen

LieutenantHead of Wheelmen

Back to top Go down

Post by Dankgame Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:55 pm

I'm in for the last of us any time guys need to finish trophys also for the online
Dankgame
Dankgame
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by sloridin Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:56 pm

trivium2011 wrote:I'm still new to all the war games so haven the crew there will be a great help and mung finished that tat quest last night with me and volts

What quest was that? I like Volts...he one of your real-life mates, Triv? I feel like I missed out...I think I broke my toe last night...

Last of us OOTE playgroup thread created!

Last edited by sloridin on Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
sloridin
sloridin
Commissioner
Commissioner

Back to top Go down

Post by trivium2011 Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:07 pm

True how u do that and yea I gues u could say that he is my little bro
trivium2011
trivium2011
Lieutenant
Head of Wheelmen

Back to top Go down

Post by sloridin Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:09 pm

trivium2011 wrote:True how u do that and yea I gues u could say that he is my little bro

Frustrations with the resident witch...kicked a chair...toe is all purple...no snowboarding for me this weekend, dammit  Mad 
sloridin
sloridin
Commissioner
Commissioner

Back to top Go down

Post by trivium2011 Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:15 pm

True hope gets better for u
trivium2011
trivium2011
Lieutenant
Head of Wheelmen

Back to top Go down

Post by sloridin Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:46 am

There's more to life than GTAO aka other great co-op games PAYDAY-The-Heist

@Triv: Foot's getting better slowly...too slow for my tastes.

Thanks again to Dank for a great time in Los Santos experimenting with cars and later on with the still great game PAYDAY:The Heist. If you guys have some extra cash, definitely pick this game up. Think the movie HEAT, except in a video game. That or a 4 player no zombie Left-4-Dead. Anyway if you got it, let's play!

Last edited by sloridin on Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
sloridin
sloridin
Commissioner
Commissioner

Back to top Go down

Post by Dankgame Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:30 pm

No problem guy ash and I will get you the plat in payday for sure I'll get another player out of retirement to help
Dankgame
Dankgame
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by trivium2011 Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:27 pm

I was checking that game out last night looks good might get it
trivium2011
trivium2011
Lieutenant
Head of Wheelmen

Back to top Go down

Post by sloridin Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:12 pm

Dankgame wrote:No problem guy ash and I will get you the plat in payday for sure I'll get another player out of retirement to help

Looking forward to our next heist...though it seems all I'm good for is following you around like a lost puppy going pew pew pew the whole time Jacking it think I need to use the Brenner instead...or level up some more  Question 
sloridin
sloridin
Commissioner
Commissioner

Back to top Go down

Post by Dankgame Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:14 pm

Shit is super fun and I'm the king of it trivium join us if your a plus member I think the game is 7 bucks

Here are my stats
Total cash stolen/ 8,276,715,000
Reputation progress / 193/193
Time played/ 15:09:33:26 (D:H:M:S)
Favorite heist/ diamond heist
Total completed heist/666
Total completed objectives/11511
Challenges completion/68%
Favorite gun / brenner 21 machine gun
Hit accuracy/ 48%
Body count / 60240
Head shots / 13084

Hope to play with y'all again soon
Dankgame
Dankgame
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by sloridin Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:26 pm

Fo sho, fo sho. I was gonna message you last night but got into some BC2 and time just flew by...

Just gonna drop my GTAO stats here so I can look from time to time pirat

There's more to life than GTAO aka other great co-op games Sloridin103
sloridin
sloridin
Commissioner
Commissioner

Back to top Go down

Post by Dankgame Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:48 pm

You got an iPhone slo if you do you should get the app. Viber free calls and text that how I know when ash is on he will text from the uk sayin suite up if you do have it I'll pm you my #

NO HOMO bwhahahahaha
Dankgame
Dankgame
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by sloridin Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:42 pm

Dankgame wrote:You got an iPhone slo if you do you should get the app. Viber free calls and text that how I know when ash is on he will text from the uk sayin suite up if you do have it I'll pm you my #

NO HOMO bwhahahahaha

I use a better(imo) Japanese one called LINE by NAVER...call, text, group chat, video, photo editing, games, AND stickers...you can even access and message from the web if you're away from your device.

App store link here.

Already got a GTA V group chat going that we used to use until the other guys got bored and moved on to BF4 Jacking it
sloridin
sloridin
Commissioner
Commissioner

Back to top Go down

Post by sloridin Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:51 pm

Heads up US PS Plus members! Payday2 is now part of the "Free" Game Collection!
sloridin
sloridin
Commissioner
Commissioner

Back to top Go down

Post by trivium2011 Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:30 pm

Doesnt help me now I think thats about $20 something here but I was thinking of getting is that online as well
trivium2011
trivium2011
Lieutenant
Head of Wheelmen

Back to top Go down

Post by sloridin Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:18 pm

trivium2011 wrote:Doesnt help me now I think thats about $20 something here but I was thinking of getting is that online as well

Yeah, it's online. Can't imagine playing it alone...but I haven't played the second one. I played the first one a bunch but not as much as our expert, Dank who doesn't seem to be around lately. Honestly, I wouldn't go out of your way to buy the second one. We've got a bunch of other stuff to play together already. Consider the first one if it's cheap and your cash is burning a hole in your pocket. I'll likely download the second one eventually but I only know a few other people that have it and they are hardcore BF4 addicts right now. Why not consider Borderlands 2 or even the first one. Easier to play on your own and a blast! Of course free is the way I like my games...
sloridin
sloridin
Commissioner
Commissioner

Back to top Go down

Post by trivium2011 Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:20 pm

Yea true almost finished bad company 2 last night then of to last of us
trivium2011
trivium2011
Lieutenant
Head of Wheelmen

Back to top Go down

Post by Dankgame Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:26 pm

Been super busy bro all you have to do is msg me an I'll try to be on

But I don't have bf2 sorry
Dankgame
Dankgame
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by sloridin Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:46 pm

Dankgame wrote:Been super busy bro all you have to do is msg me an I'll try to be on

But I don't have bf2 sorry

Cool man. Will do that. Running with Mung and Triv is good fun man. Think about picking it up...but I'm still hoping you're gonna help me get that plat for Payday! Pretty please with sugar on top!
sloridin
sloridin
Commissioner
Commissioner

Back to top Go down

Post by Dankgame Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:10 am

Just pick a day an I'll let ash know and we will get them .Friday is no good as it's v day but the rest of the weeken I'm free
Dankgame
Dankgame
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next